If you find yourself reading this article, then you probably launched a website some time ago, undoubtedly with eagerness and motivation. However, for one reason or another, you abandoned your website and let it die over time. Whether it was due to you being busy taking care of the kids, or going on business trips, working long hours, or simply because you got discouraged and gave up, we are sure that you are quite good at what you do. However, you do need to put in more effort to strife in this online venture.
Well, we have new for you! You still have the chance to dust up that website that has been sitting idle, waiting for you to give it some of your time to make its heart start ticking again.
The Internet is literally swamped with corpses of dead websites. Some disappear entirely while some others end up as parked domains. We have compiled a list of things to do in order to revive your abandoned website.
Perform a complete audit
This is by default the first thing to do in order to determine the state of your website. Depending on the duration of your site’s inactivity, you may be faced with different situations. It could be that your content may suffer some penalty points, or that the niche you abandoned may now be facing stiff competition. Let’s discuss what you can do:
- Designing and branding your website:
- How well is your site designed?
- Do your images look out of date? Change them and add brighter and newer ones.
- Is it slow, is it coded properly or are you still using outdated technologies?
- Is your website mobile-friendly? Make sure it works on all devices.
- Is the current branding look, in line with your targeted audience?
If the answers to the above questions are negative, make the appropriate changes and arrange your budget to get fully updated with the most recent technology.
- Content Management and Community:
- Does your content look incoherent? Make it very easy to read and understand in order to capture the visitor.
- Does the content have quality backlinks? Are the meta-titles and descriptions accurate?
- How often do you post on your blog/website? If it is less than twice per week, then you should know that it is not enough. You should publish something at least 3 times a week in order to be successful.
- How many visits do you get per day? What is the activity on your website? If they are low, then you already know what to do! You must build your community. There are many ways to do that. You can share your content on social media, organise some events, do email marketing, just to name a few.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO):
- Even a live website needs constant optimization. Imagine yours that has been dead for quite a while! Start with your keywords and key phrases. They will be necessary for page rankings.
- You will also need to index the links to accelerate the process that enables all pages to appear faster on google searches.
- We know you might be lost at some point here. We strongly advise you to hire a Professional SEO firm to help you get your site optimized.
Also, do not forget to check your website’s integrity as there might be a chance that your files have been compromised by hackers during your absence. Make sure to check this as well and you’ll be good to go. You will see your website back to life in no time.