Mobile SEO gathers best practices, strategies, configurations, methodologies and tools to guarantee indexing and improve the ranking of sites in searches performed on mobile devices. In other words, it involves optimizing your webpages for use in mobile devices, mostly cellphones, with focus on speed, page size, fidelity, UX (user experience), and usage pattern.
I know that this sounds complicated, and if you think you need some advice, please contact our professional content management team, and we will be happy to help you with this and much more!
In the meantime, check out below the main key points you need to pay attention to if you want to achieve good results in searches on mobile devices according to the new criteria of Google:
1. A basic technical inspection
Before you start making adjustments to pages and codes, it is important to perform a basic check on the files, software and services used on your website. RFollow the checklist bellow and make sure everything is Ok with your website:
- Hosting service: make sure that the supplier has a good reputation in the market and the contracted plan meets all the needs of your website;
- Tags for mobile: ensure the insertion of special HTML tags such as “viewport” (asks the browser to adjust the screen for the mobile version) and “Hreflang” (informs that the site has different versions).
- Content manager: give preference to platforms or robust software that are already consolidated in the market, such as WordPress;
- Image optimization: remove non-essential files, compress images, configure descriptions and give preference to lighter file formats;
- SSL certificate: Google understands that HTTPS addresses are used on secure mobile sites and gives priority to them in the search ranking;
2. Optimize your website
Speed is critical in mobile. After all, we need to ensure a good experience on unstable connections and with limited services. The logical solution is simple: focus on the essentials! All the measures listed in the list above have a direct impact on the speed of your website.
The 2 main factors used by Google to measure this are:
FCP (First content display): time required for the first page element to be displayed on the screen;
FID (Input Latency): the delay between the user’s first interaction with any element of the page and the browser response.
Make sure your site is always responsive to create the best experience for your users.
3. UX (User Experience)
This is the most important criterion among all SEO practices for mobile, as it is at this stage that we directly address the interaction between users and the site. When optimizing your user experience, focus in the following factors:
- Clean Visuals: Minimize the options and data displayed to the user on the pages, leaving only what is necessary.
- Flat design: The trend is the flat design, a style that adopts simple shapes and solid colors to ensure the greatest possible clarity in the interfaces.
- Quick access: Check the number of steps necessary for your user to reach the contents and functions of your website and try to shorten this time as much as possible.
- Optimize Fonts: The website should automatically adapt the font size for the device on which it is being displayed.
Mobile SEO is definitely a prerequisite for results on the web, no matter the nature or size of your business, and here at Rangval, the best service for project management, we will always be more than happy to help you with this and any other matters you may need for your project management.