It is very important to optimize your website for conversion or traffic, regardless of the activity. Be it for e-commerce, advertising, newsletter, time-on-site or any other purpose, optimization is aimed at creating content that breeds insight. Traffic is the most important constituent of the reason a website is created and what we casually call traffic refers to the people who visit our page.
Visitors come to a website from various locations around the world. They speak different languages, they have different nationalities, they pay with different currencies, they live in different climates and they have different cultural expectations.
What is Geo-Targeting?
Geo-targeting, also called local PPC, is the practice of delivering different content or advertisements to consumers, according to their geographical location. In other words, it determines where exactly a visitor lives, and then, through a dynamic process, tailors the content of the website to be more meaningful to that visitor. The benefits of the practice are immense.
Why should we use Geo-targeting on our website?
It is important to set a segmentation that is location-based, when testing out conversion on different page elements of your website. Testing different ideas when a location is taken into account, creates more specific awareness. For example, what would it be that can improve your funnel: showing traffic pages from Spain in Spanish or in English? Will you quote prices in Euros, Pounds or Dollars?
3 ways Geo-targeting can help increase conversion on you website:
- Corresponding Currencies:
- Try displaying the currency according to the corresponding IP of your visitor and check if there is any difference in the rates of conversion. Statistically, people feel more comfortable dealing with what they are used to in their everyday lives. A U.S. citizen does not understand Euros while Chinese do now know anything but yens. This question gets complicated for EU inhabitants as it could be that you would need to display two currencies: Euros and the local country’s currency. However, this is a more advanced discussion.
- Match Languages
- Recent studies showed that most of local researchers aren’t from English speaking countries, so if you do not pay attention into matching languages with your client location, you will leave behind a significant amount of money. This means that your website must allow the option of switching between languages and become user-friendly so as to appear on local search results.
- Play with Visual Elements
- Similarly, testing different design elements based on the visitor’s location may enlighten about the funnel you’re using. The way bright colors are interpreted by one culture on one side of the planet may be vastly different for another culture on another. Think of holiday themes as an example, or national flags as another.
Actually, this goes a lot deeper than you think. As you immerse into the practice of making your site more acceptable by more and more people you will find that specific color combinations will bring people to convert to your site, just because their own cultural requirements do not allow them to convert to other sites. For example, statistics say that Muslims may not convert on a site with a combination of red, white and blue colors, but they will convert to a green color scheme. In other cases of minimal cultural imperatives, a simple black and white scheme may be more successful than a bright and vivid color combination.
Geo-targeting is an especially important part of SEO, and an integral one at that. There are some basic SEO techniques that you simply should always, and by default, deploy to optimize your website. However, there also are some other advanced SEO techniques and processes that you just must learn and implement to urge better results.
Geo-targeting happens to be among those strategies that facilitate the determination of the needs of your users from a particular location and optimize your website to respond accordingly.
Identifying what works and what doesn’t is imperative to put in place a working and efficient SEO campaign in situ. That’s how you’ll be able to target more people and achieve an improved reach for your business.